so, i have been sharing food pics and recipes on facebook for awhile now. after some poking and prodding from others and contemplation on my part, i’ve decided maybe it’s about time to create a place of my own to finally deposit all of this “food stuff” that i have been spamming you all with throughout the past years…
i hope this can be a place where i can share recipes and ideas and hopefully hear something back once in a while too. i want a place to organize and share the recipes i’ve truly enjoyed making (and eating). also, a place to get some feedback or new inspiration along the way… you can see pictures of things i’ve made in the past few years on facebook but i think it is time for more than that… thus the creation of “therapy bread”.
what? i kinda like it. but i guess it might deserve some back-story. i won’t get into the knitty-gritty of the situation…. but one september afternoon when i was feeling particularly frazzled i decided it was about time to get in the kitchen. you see, for me, creating something with my own hands from an assortment of unassuming ingredients is something magical. i can crank up some imagine dragons, maroon 5, sting, sara bareilles, sevendust, macklemore…. yea i like a random assortment of music…. and get to work. get to work on not only creating something for dinner, dessert or snacking but something that i can be proud of. something that i can share with others. or something to keep all to myself. either way, i walk away from this time in the kitchen, or outside with the smoker or wherever feeling somehow elevated.
(unless i totally screw up the recipe… which does happen… lol… then i just start over.)
so that september afternoon, instead of breaking down and feeling sorry for myself as we are so often tempted to do, i printed out a copy of the “peppery cheese rolls” recipe from the taste of home website and got started. i proudly posted a picture of the final result on facebook later on, declaring it my “therapy bread” for the day.
who needs therapy when you can dig your hands into some bread dough?
braided peppery cheese bread
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and pepper. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 1 egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Divide into 36 pieces. Shape each into a 6-in. rope. Braid three ropes together. Pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough. (i divided the dough into 9 ropes- three for each long loaf that i made)
- Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over braids. Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
so please, enjoy this or one of the other recipes to come… i am going to try to get in the habit of posting recipes and possibly food-spotting-type-things, if i am so inclined, here instead of on my facebook page…
and please get on my case if i don’t update this as often as i should! LOL