So I’m going to try to start partaking in my blogging friend’s weekly event: Fiesta Friday! Over at The Novice Gardener the good folks participating in this “party” are putting up a weekly posts on how they celebrate or let loose for the upcoming weekend. Sadly for me, my job doesn’t usually allow for me to let my hair down to the weekend, my days off come at random points during the week. So, I will say that on a day that is like MY weekend I like to make breakfast! Easy breakfast is even better, like the recipe below.
You all know I adore eggs. And for some reason lately I’ve also had a real craving for avocados. They are creamy and delicious and I’ve been putting them on sandwiches, on salads and now in my eggs as well!
I used to be terrible at making scrambled eggs. I mean horrible. I would pour the eggs into a too-hot-pan and let them cook until almost set and then stir them up. They would be hard little lumps of dry egg. No wonder I always thought I didn’t like scrambled eggs. After dating Troy for a little while I realized scrambled eggs could be something delicious because he was very good at making them. Soft, moist and pillow-like. The key is to cook them over low heat, stir often and allow egg “curds” to form. This is what I did for this “recipe” if you can call it that and then I stirred in all of my veggies and cheese in the last few minutes of cooking, just to warm them through. If you add the avocado much earlier they will fully mush into your eggs and loose all of their texture and likely turn the whole dish a sickly green-yellow color. Lol.
I ate this for dinner because I do so love breakfast for dinner but this would be an excellent way to start your day. Full of protein and all kinds of good fat and nutrients. I love it. Avocado in eggs is a very good life choice. The salty bite of the feta, the freshness of the tomatoes and the mild onion flavor from snipped scallions make perfect accompaniment to the nutty and creamy avocado. This makes enough for two if you are serving some toast on the side. I’m sure it would also be great on a sandwich. Mmmm…
Avocado, Feta and Tomato Scramble
(Adapted from “Foodist Approved: Feta and Avocado Egg Scramble” on summertomato.com)
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. milk or half and half
- ½ of one hass avocado, cubed
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1-2 scallions, snipped or chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat until melted. Swirl to coat the pan
- Combine the eggs with the half and half in a medium bowl and beat
- Pour egg mixture into the heated pan with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
- Let the eggs set for about 30 seconds before beginning to slowly stir/scramble the eggs with a rubber spatula. Be gentle but continue to move the eggs around so that they don’t brown at all
- Once the eggs have begun to set, fold in the avocado, tomato, feta and green onions. Allow to set for 30 seconds and remove from pan to serving dish. Don’t overcook the eggs- they should be moist but not runny.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary to taste